Spice Lentil Soup (VEGAN)
Do not be intimidated by the number of ingredients, chances are you have them in your pantry, and if not you can substitute.
• 2 tablespoon of vegetable oil
• 1 pound dried lentils
• ½ cup dry apricot cut in small pieces (you can substitute dry prune)
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 2 cups vegetable stock
• 2 cups water
• 2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 tablespoon curry powder
• ½ tablespoon cumin
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• ½ tablespoon chili powder
• 2 or 3 bay leaves
• 2 tablespoon of tomato paste
Wash lentils well in several changes of water until water runs clear. Drain.
In large saucepan, heat oil and sauté onion and garlic for 2 min. Add curry, cumin, cinnamon, and chili powder and sauté for about 3 min while mixing. Add the tomato paste and apricot and continuous mixing and sauté for about 3 more mins. This mixture should be very aromatic.
Add lentils, bay leaves, water, salt, and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 30 minutes, checking the lentil tenderness and season with salt and pepper to taste.