Potato leek soup (VEGAN)
• 3 table spoon of olive oil
• 4 medium leeks, white and pale-green parts only, coarsely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic
• 4 medium Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
• 6 cups vegetable broth
• 2 teaspoon dry basil
• 1 bay leaf
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• Sour cream in the side (for the non-vegans)
1. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium low heat. Add the leeks and garlic and cook, stirring, until the leeks are tender, about 15 minutes.
2. Add the potatoes and cook another 5 minutes. Add the broth, basil, and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
3. You can, with an immersion blender, purée the soup until smooth and creamy. I skip this step.
4. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot with a spoon of sour cream for the non-vegans.
Inspired from The Complete Kitchen Garden: An Inspired Collection of Garden Designs and 100 Seasonal Recipes by Ellen Ecker Ogden.