Baked Quibe or Kibbeh
It is a versatile and affordable dish, essential ingredients are: mint, olive oil, bulgur and ground meat.
In Brazil we use beef but in the Middle East they prefer lamb. The bulgur in this recipe might seem like a specialty ingredient, but it is actually in most supermarkets, near the rice, under the name Near East Tabouli Wheat Salad Mix (you won’t need the seasoning packet).
• 1 lb of ground meet (beef or lamb)
• 2 medium onions fine chopped
• 1 cloves garlic minced
• ½ pound of bulgur wheat
• 4 tablespoons of good olive oil
• ½ cup of mint fined chopped
• 2 teaspoons of salt
• ½ teaspoons of pepper
1. Cover bulgur by 1 inch with cold water in a bowl. When dust and chaff rise to surface, pour off water, then repeat rinsing 2 more times. Cover rinsed bulgur with cold water by 1 inch and let stand 10 minutes. Drain in a fine-mesh sieve, pressing hard on bulgur to remove excess liquid, and transfer to a large bowl
2. Heat the oven to 400°F
3. Mix the bulgur with meat, onions, garlic, 3 Tb spoons of olive oil, salt and pepper
4. Press the mix in an oiled pie plate and add remains olive oil to the top of the mix.
5. Bake for about 1 hour